Monday 22 June 2009

PLAYING WELL, BUT...

Well, I don’t need to tell you – do I? You know all about it, you’ve been there before and will be there again soon enough… Yeah. Puke, yuck, meh. Just one of them days.

Currently, variance has been making me her bitch (variance… gotta be female, yeah?) and yet I probably shouldn’t even be complaining all that much, seeing how my most recent tourneys have actually included a couple of small final tables. Small, because we’re talking field sizes of approximately 200-250, making the “pot of gold” that we’re all chasing, sometimes looks more like a pot of… uhmm, really nice apples. Yep, I’ve gone and done it – chosen a weird metaphor again and now I’ve gotta just run with it.

So, it’s not like you don’t want the apples – oh no you really do, cause well – they’re still apples – they’re just not as attractive as some of the other pots around. Kinda wish I had an apple right now. And some pot. Mmmm… apples and pot.

Uhhm yeah. So…, uhmm – anyway…

The last two final tables I’ve made, I’ve come in 7th and 6th respectively. The 7th place finish was annoying. I’d come into the last two tables with a monster stack, only to see it dwindle pretty quickly. Obviously a monster at that point of most tourneys is approximately 40 BBs and it therefore doesn’t take more than 1 or 2 short-stack all-in confrontations that don’t go your way, before you yourself are the one everyone’s gunning for. Anyway, so that happened and then I go card-dead and get to the final table as a bottom-3 stack.

Imagine my frustration then when I finally pick up AQ in the CO. Angels were singing and I snap-shoved my 7BB stack. Did the BB have to have two aces? Well, NO… (duh!) – but he did and that was all she wrote.

Making it to the second final table lifted my spirits again! Ready to go! No more running into aces for me! Being “outplayed” wasn’t part of the plan either though…

Again, I have AQ and 6-handed I raise 2.4x from the button with a 18BB stack. SB flats and the BB is getting a good price, so he tags along. Flop is 8hThTd and I have the queen of hearts. They both checked and because a check-raise is the worst thing for my hand, I decide to check as well. Turn is the Q of diamonds and the SB min-bets. I decide he’s just looking to pick up an uncontested pot and raise him 3.5x his bet. He thinks for a long time and shoves (only JUST covering me). I figure there are hands I beat (not a lot) and have to call. He shows KK and the river bricks.

It’s all good. I’m cashing in a high percentage of tourneys and I’ll soon be the one picking up AA and KK at final tables.

Wow, this has turned into such a weird blog entry, compared to my ‘normal’ style of writing. I’m just kinda ranting on, huh? Time to go then. You’re excused.


Days left until Aussie Millions 2010: 205

No comments:

Post a Comment